Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Surprise!

Last week, after my 20-week checkup with the midwives, Zack and his mom and I went to have the gender scan ultrasound- which is supposed to be the last one of my pregnancy (midwives try to keep that kind of technology limited, considering we don't know the full effect of it on the fetus).  The tech found out the gender but didn't tell us- she wrote it on a piece of paper and folded it up times a bajillion and put it in an envelope.  Zack's mom took that envelope to a bakery and instructed them to fill it blue if it said boy, pink if it said girl.  On Sunday we gathered at MIL's house with a few close friends and cut the cake...









Wow, I was shocked!  I've been carrying everything in the front, the baby had been so active, and big, and I just *knew* it was a boy!  When Zack and I started a registry, we even picked out a couple of blue things because I was so sure.  Baby girl's name is Gwenna Michele.  I felt a little disappointed at first, but I think that was only because I was disappointed in myself for not knowing- for mis-labeling my little girl and not knowing her, and having to do the bonding thing pretty much all over again.  Instead of imagining little footballs and sailboats, I had to start imagining butterflies and ballet slippers. 

Now we're all very excited, and just can't wait to welcome our baby girl into the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment